Followers

9.04.2012

Questions

Some questions I get alot:

What brace do you wear and why is yours so painful?

I wear a boston brace...I think. Every brace fits differently though, and every case of scoliosis is different. I think mine was so painful because my curve pushed a rib out, (my dominate rib, the doctors called it. ha;) and the brace had to push that rib back in. I'm a little bony in that area as well. But some people don't have that bad of curves and their brace might not hurt as much as yours. Everyone's different.

How long is this gonna last?

It all really depends on your age and when you had your period. (I guess I don't really know for guys). Usually, its 1-2 years after you've had your period. I had my period when I was 12, and that's around the same time they put me inthe brace, I'm 14 now, and I just recently got my brace off. But everyone's growth pattern is different.

If you've ever heard the doctor talking about your hips being a 0, 1, 2, 3 then maybe you know what that means. But if you don't, those numbers are measuring how solid your hips are becoming. When you're young, your hips are mostly cartilage. But as you progress through puberty, they become more hard into bone. Just like a baby's skull is mostly cartilage and soft when he's young, so that his brain and skull can still grow. His skull later becomes bone when he is done growing.
if you're a 0, then your hips most likely have a while to go. But at 3, you're almost there!

What can I do about pain when I'm not wearing the brace?

Core strengthening and toning is a great way to help your throbbing back. Some of you may not have back pain, but for more serious curves, it can really start to irritate the muscles and tissue in your back. Pilates are really helpful. The more you tone your core (including back and abs) the more even your back muscles become, and the more this helps the pain. It can sometimes even help the curve.  

I hope all of this helps you guys:) If you ever just wanna talk, my email address is in the below post:)

2 comments:

Kassica said...

Oh, I understand now. I did hear about pilates being very helpful. I will try it out sometime. I think I have to wear a brace for a total of 1 year. So, I have several months to go. My period was almost 2 years ago but my curve worsened a lot this year. I'm glad that I don't have to wear it as long but I'm sad because if I got the brace earlier it might have helped a lot more.

http://embracingscoliosis.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Ann Marie and recently I made a blog about scoliosis of my own. It would mean the world to me if you would check it out at http://scoliosisfashionandbraceadvice.blogspot.com/ Thanks!